It's Not Over, Till It's Over -- (or in a Wagner Opera, Till the Fat Lady Sings.)

I took a break from editing my latest book to sit quietly and contemplate my 80th year on planet Earth. I’ve never been accused of being an optimist so as usual, I drifted into my regrets. Even after a life well-lived, I have a few regrets.

Not in any particular order, here they are. I finally closed the door on the possibility of my ballet career. Gave up on waiting for a modeling agent to contact me. This realization came about slowly as I noticed that I never even got an honorable mention on the annual World’s Sexiest Man contest in People Magazine.

I can go anywhere, and no one notices me, which counts me out of the World’s 100 Most Influential People list. I’ve written seven books and not a single one has been on Oprah’s reading list or a NY Times bestseller. As a matter of fact, my publisher won’t return my calls. (Just joking. She doesn’t have a phone) Maybe I picked the wrong publisher. Another regret!

I gave up on a sports career in basketball, football, and baseball. I did get excited in baseball when I was offered a half-million-dollar deal. I had to turn it down. How could I pay them a half-million dollars? I didn’t have that kind of money.

Well, it’s not over and recently I've enjoyed a renewed sense of excitement in the last couple of years. I’m thinking with all the horse manure floating around in the news, there must be a pony in it somewhere. 

Hope springs eternal.

Comments

Popular Posts